Category Archives: Organisation

Posts about organisation of the foundation. Working groups, the board, and other entities, and how we structure our organisation

Working Group Summary

Working Group Summary from 19 October to 04 November 2010

The second instalment of these periodic OSMF updates includes information from five Working groups and the OSMF Board.

Summary of License Working Group call of 19 October 2010

Meeting shortened due to only four in attendance.  Previous minutes approved.

Group discussion of “Scope 2″ item from “Open Issues” page on the wiki.  Potential solution to be considered by entire group on next call.

Summary of Data Working Group call of 20 October 2010

The parties in a tagging dispute and endless mutual edit reversions requested intervention by the DWG.  The community advised the parties to behave.  Further edit-wars will be met with sanctions in the form of account blocks.

Suspected use of OSM data without proper attribution was brought to the attention of DWG. Assigned for contact by a DWG member.

Summary of SotM Working group call of 20 October 2010

Continued selection process from 06 October 2010 meeting.  – Vienna, Addis Abbaba, Cuba, Denver and Tallin submitted bids. Denver was selected.

Summary of License Working Group call of 26 October 2010

LWG considered a major revision to CT 1, potentially reducing it to some equivalent of the wikipedia terms, “Content that violates any third-party copyrights will be deleted.”

The discussion of “Scope 2″ was raised with the LWG and discussed.  The proposed solution of user acceptance and per-changeset opt-out was met with general approval.  Further reflection and discussion to consider how this interacts with potential change to CT1.

Summary of OSMF Board call of 29 October 2010

The OSMF board will meet in person in Pisa, Italy on the weekend of 16 December 2010

The board meetings will be held weekly from next Wednesday onwards to increase throughput and reduce reaction times.

The initiative of a SOTM-EU for next year is welcomed by the board but it is unlikely that active support can be expected from the board or the working groups due to limited resources, which will focus on the main SOTM in Denver. The recent (main) SOTM conferences have provided a net income to the OSMF financials and therefore the board does not see a need to provide funding to any regional SOTM.

Summary of Communication Working Group call of 01 November 2010

Analytics configured and implemented for (this blog)

CWG approached for link from to  Deferred until larger conversation on front page revisions.  Existing link to OGD from with other community blogs.

CWG still seeks guidance from theme / style -knowledgeable folks in mediawiki and WordPress.  Do you know about these things?  Help point us in the right direction!

CWG to continue to solicit other WGs to assist in these summaries.

Summary of License Working Group call of 02 November 2010

Further discussion of reducing CT 1 to a very short clause somewhat similar to Wikipedia’s “Content that violates any third-party copyrights will be deleted.”

LWG notes the prompt reaction to and resolution of a license issue in Colombia.  Thank you to all involved in this resolution.

A use of OSM data in a television commercial without attribution was brought to the attention of the LWG.  Requires community input.

Summary of Data Working Group call 03 November 2010

Previously mentioned contact (Oct 26) still pending.

Continued encouragement for DWG to take responsibility for moderation on mailing lists, etc.  Members of DWG have little enthusiasm for this proposal.

DWG are monitoring the response of company regarding improper attribution of OSM data in Chile.

DWG are following up an offer for improved data regarding an official source of 12nm data.

Summary of OSMF Board call of 03 November 2010

Backlog tasks were assigned for resolution.

Summary of SotM Working group call of 03 November 2010

Introductions between Denver local team and OSMF team.

Summary of Strategic Working Group IRC Chat of  04 November 2010

Initial working meeting for the Strategic Working Group was held on IRC in #osm-strategic.  With a full dozen in attendance discussion was lively on the matter of setting a policy for including additional tile layers on the front page.  This conversation will continue at the next meeting.

Working Group Summary

This is a summary of the recent activities of the OSMF Working Groups. While it strives to be an accurate report, the official minutes are to be considered accurate when this summary differs from them.  The intent is for these periodic summaries to include information from more working groups and board meetings.  This is the first summary so it probably deserves some background.


When the new OSMF board was formed for 2010, a task was set to new board members Emilie Laffray and Oliver Kühn to “make OSMF better at communicating”. They formed the OSMF Communication Working Group and invited Harry Wood and Richard Weait to participate in the initial plans for the group.

Initial discussions looked at all of the current forms of communication in which the OSMF participates. This was a long and diverse list and was frankly overwhelming. So it was decided to tighten the scope of the CWG, at least initially, to “Make OSMF better
at communicating with the OSMF members and wider OSM community.”

That goals was formalized and presented to the OSMF Board during a recent board meeting as:

CWG currently has four members and will expand according to opportunity and need. CWG will focus initially on outgoing communication from OSMF Board and Working Groups to OSMF members, OSM community and the public. CWG will continue to monitor and consider other communication channels for opportunities to improve communication. CWG see the web site as within scope of CWG, but not a top priority.

CWG will continue with weekly or bi-weekly meetings according to availability and current tasks. CWG will make use of the currently dormant (this blog), as an official OSMF Board and Working Group announcement source. This will cross-link generously with which is a source of OSM-related news and commentary. CWG will encourage regular use of for periodic summaries of Working Group activities and OSMF Board business.

That brings us up to date to the recent CWG meeting on 06 October 2010.

Summary of Communication Working Group meeting of 06 October 2010

The CWG recognized that Hurricane Coast had volunteered to join the CWG and her offer was unanimously accepted. Hurricane is expected to join the CWG as of 11 October 2010.

Harry is leading the review of current OSMF / OSM communication channels. This review will continue for the foreseeable future.

Apart from content, and making better use of, the CWG would like to tidy up the OSMF web sites a bit. CWG seeks technical guidance on this topic and those with both MediaWiki skinning and WordPress theming experience are welcome to share their thoughts with CWG on this matter.

CWG have asked the OSMF Board for permission to pick up the OSMF logo competition which seems to have fallen dormant.

CWG to summarize CWG activities in a “human-readable” format and post them to

Summary of OSMF Board Meeting of 07(?) October 2010

A first face-to-face meeting of the new board is planned for the week-end of the 12th December.

A request for a financial support for a OSM related project came up: It was decided to let the Strategic Working Group establish a policy for under which circumstances financial support can be granted. In addition it was discussed to set up a “pin board” that serves as exchange for specific sponsoring opportunities: projects that require funding and people/companies that want to sponsor can find each other.

A task was established to evaluate how operational spendings can be approved without waiting for a board meeting.

It was decided that no exceptions will made for the new contributor terms – regardless of the contributions of any (potential) user.

Summary of Communication Working Group meeting of 11 October 2010

The first order of business for the Communication Working Group meeting of 11 October 2010 was to welcome new participant Hurricane Coast. The first CWG blog post, a summary of recent Board and Working Group minutes is expected on or about Thursday 14 October 2010. A twitter account for CWG or the Foundation Board was considered but it was decided to use the existing @openstreetmap account until a clear requirement for a CWG account arises.

Analytics has been added to to assist in measuring interest in the various pages of the osmfoundation site. CWG would like to get an idea of the interest in various pages on as well. What interests the community. What would the community like for us to communicate about?

Summary of License Working Group Meeting 12 October 2010

This meeting was largely a summary of outstanding issues around existing imports, derivation and ODbL/CT.  According to the import catalogue only 13 cases rely upon only CC-By-SA, they effect (Poland 1, Germany 5, Czech Republic 1, Wikipedia 1, France 1, Sweden 1, The Netherlands 2, UK 1, Australia 1).  Only 10 rely upon only CC-By, they effect (Australia 9 (possibly + 2 more?),  New Zealand 1)

With so few cases in play, direct discussion to negotiate required permissions is possible.

The new UK Open Government license will have to be watched as it may be compatible with future OSM.

A review of the Contributor Terms is in progress.  Some terms are being reviewed by counsel, others have been reviewed and will be unchanged.

LWG considered adding a Hall of Shame, to list alleged OSM license violations as they are brought to the attention of the LWG.

Summary of Communication Working Group meeting of 18 October 2010

Nothing substantial to report.  Next meeting 01 November 2010.

Mikel Maron steps down from DWG Chair

In an email to the OSMF Board, on 06 October 2010, Mikel resigned from his post as Chair of the Data Working Group.


I am resigning from the Chair of the DWG. My time commitments with other Foundation duties, Kibera, and HOT, are already more than full time. Steve has generously offered to take the helm from here.

Thanks everyone for the extremely hard work over the past 2+ years. I first became interested in these issues with the edit war in Cyprus, and we’ve gone very far in defining how the Foundation, reluctantly, gets involved in copyright, vandalism, and conflicts. Fortunately, OSM has been much less plagued by these issues than we might have imagined. Anyone can do whatever they want in OSM, and it turns out most everyone cares deeply about making the map the best map out there.

There’s still lots of work for the group to do, especially in widening participation in the group to ease the work load, effectively communicating the procedures, defining the limits of community license enforcement, and getting OTRS fully operational. Thanks again for keeping up with this work, and much thanks for Steve for stepping up.


The OSMF Board thank Mikel for his service as Chair since the founding of the Data Working Group and for his continued service on the board.