There’s been an amazing response to the OpenStreetMap infrastructure funding drive launched last month. Given the incredible enthusiasm for strengthening OpenStreetMap’s core infrastructure, we’ve decided to extend the funding drive so we can do even more and do it right.
We’re now asking for an additional £32,500 / $50,000 that will allow the OSM Operations Working Group to make hardware purchases and build out our server set-up. This increase in capacity will open the doors to even more growth of our lively community, and ensure that map editing will always be available.
Where Your Donation Goes
Phase 1: Cost £40,000 / $60,000 (Achieved!)
- An additional master database server to improve reliability and performance.
- A new central file server for greater capacity.
Phase 2: Cost £32,500 / $50,000 (Help us fund this!)
- Routing servers (more details on this to come)
- Tile cache servers in NA for faster loading tiles.
- Off-site backup improvements so that, in the event of a disaster, OSM will be back up quicker.
- Additional database read-only servers for greater speed and responsiveness.
Your contributions will directly improve the single most important piece of infrastructure for OpenStreetMap. Thanks for your support and for helping OpenStreetMap continue to grow and become faster, more reliable, and more powerful.
You can donate now at donate.openstreetmap.org or by contacting us.