OpenStreetMap is the best map when it comes to attention to detail. However, the experience of the map sometimes lags behind when compared to commercial implementation of the web-based maps. skobbler made an attempt at a new web-based map powered by OpenStreetMap: http://maps.skobbler.com.
There are some innovative features that were always missing with other solutions:
- Auto-positioning via HTML5 browser positioning in Firefox and Chrome (if the user allows it)
- Internationalised style in Germany and the US (coming to many more countries)
- Drag & Drop Route calculation (just move the pins where routes should be calculated)
- Multi-line address search
- POI layers
Performance is very effective due to use of:
- High-performance map tile loading due to worldwide big chunks of pre-rendered tiles (not only in the US)
Furthermore, there is a new map style with a good compromise of details and clarity. The address search for route calculations is temporarily based on a 3rd party geocoder (in default mode), but allows a single line address entry and very effective address coverage.
Give it a try: http://maps.skobbler.com