Update: New date for publishing the host venue of SOTM09: 15th December
The call for venues for the State of the Map 2009 is now open. Â If you would like to be considered as a host for the event, please send an email to email@example.com, with the following details:
- Name of the group or individual applying
- Names and email addresses of the proposed organising committee along with a brief description of their OSM activities to date
- Name, address and short description of the proposed conference venue
- Why do you want to host the State of the Map 2009?
- How will you make the State of the Map 2009 the best yet?
- What makes your bid different from the others?
- What will you do to raise sponsorship or other funding for the event?
The dates for the conference have been set to the 11th – 12th July 2009 – so book your time off work now!
The provisional time line is as follows:
- 16th October – Call for venues opens
- 16th November – Call for venues closes
- 29th November 12th December – Successful host is notified
- 1stÂ December 15th December- Venue publicly announced
If you are interested in helping out in the organizational efforts of SOTM09, take a look at the conferenceÂ wiki
. For inspiration, take a look at the websites from the SOTM08
Who should apply?
Anyone or any group that wish to host the State of the Map 2009 can apply to the OSM Foundation to be considered as a conference host. Â You do not need to represent a whole nation – rival bids from the same nation are allowed, but we encourage co-operation between nearby groups.
Are the dates fixed?
To allow delegates to book their time well before the conference, the dates for the event have been set to the 11th – 12th July 2009.
Is the conference format fixed?
No, the format is not fixed. Â In the past a two day event has worked well, but prospective hosts may suggest alterations to the format.
Do we need to have a venue confirmed?
No. Â You don’t need to have a venue confirmed, but the Foundation will favour applicants who have the most convincing proposal – so having provisional “yes” will be an advantage.
What is the affiliation between the OSM Foundation and the State of the Map?
The State of Map is the conference of the OSM Foundation. Â All finances, entry fees and sponsorship should be administered through the Foundation, but applicants are strongly encouraged to seek sponsorship and other support.
What size should the organizing committee be?
That depends a lot on the size of the conference. Â In the past conferences of around 100 people have beenÂ organizedÂ by around 5 people. Â The host party is expected to contribute to a large portion of the organisation of the event but the committee should also include representatives from the OSM Foundation who will be able to help out with the organisation.